Growing Potatoes in Your Backyard Garden
What you’ll learn
When you are finished with this course you will know everything you need to get a great crop of potatoes planted this year.
You just need a simple understanding of how things grow, some room in your garden and some seed potatoes to get started!
Make the Humble Potato a BIG part of your garden.
Potatoes are an often over looked addition to any backyard garden. Packed with nutrients, they are versatile in the kitchen and long storing,. And the great thing about growing your own potatoes is you can take advantage of over 100 tasty varieties. You will not longer be limited by the 5 or so different varieties grown commercially. Home grown potatoes come in every shape, color and size.
There are few things in life that are tastier than fresh dug potatoes, mashed, fried or baked for you evening dinner. And in the dead of winter potatoes are one of the few garden crops that you can still eat fresh!
This Growing Potatoes gardening course will take you step by step through the growing process and give you the knowledge you need to grow hundreds of pounds of potatoes from your garden this summer!
Today you will learn how to grow a delicious crop of home grown potatoes in your own backyard garden.
What you will learn with Growing Potatoes:
Module 1 Introduction
- Learn why growing your own potatoes is so important.
Module 2 – Planting Your Potatoes
- Choosing seed potatoes
- Growing your own seed potatoes
- What is “Chitting”?
- Cutting potato seeds for more plants
- When should you plant
- Planting using the trench & Hill System
Module 3 – Caring for your growing potatoes
- Why you should “hill” your potatoes and how to do it
- Watering your crop
- Do your potatoes need fertilizer?
- Common pests and diseases
- Why are my potatoes funny shaped?
- How to avoid green potatoes
Module 4 – Harvesting and Storage
- When are your potatoes ready to harvest?
- Digging potatoes
- Curing your potatoes before storage
- How to get your potatoes to last long in storage
Module 5 – Alternative growing methods
- Growing potatoes in containers
- Growing potatoes without hilling
- Growing potatoes in compost and straw
- How to get a super early crop of potatoes?
This course is designed to teach you the basics of growing potatoes in your backyard garden.
You will learn everything you need to know to grow a fantastic crop of tasty potatoes your first year!
You will learn the simple steps for growing your own Potatoes:
- Choosing seed potatoes and planting your crop
- How to care for your growing potatoes, including common pests and problems
- Harvesting and storage of your crop
- Alternative growing methods
Whether you are starting your first garden or you have a thumb as green as an emerald you need this course to get you the information you need to grow a great crop of potatoes!
Who this course is for:
- This course is designed to help both new and experienced gardeners grow a better crop of home grown garden potatoes this year.
Hi guys, I’m Rick Stone and I’m a gardening fanatic! Over the last 19 years I’ve grown a large garden at my home and it seems like every year that garden gets a little larger! Most years we grow between 800 to 1100 pounds of fresh veggies for our table and tons of great flowers to make our yard look awesome.
I grow all of my own seedlings and we have learned how to extend our garden harvest to 365 days a year. Even in our zone 5b garden! Growing in cold frames and hoop houses is the key!!
I’m a graduate of the Utah State University Master Gardener program and have been teaching classes for many years on gardening basics and year round gardening. For the last year I have been teaching courses online to nearly 1000 students. Come join me and we will learn everything you need to know to have a successful garden!!